Thursday 11 September 2008

Feast or Famine?

I'm lucky as I'm just about staving off hunger - the project I was waiting for that was going to take the whole of August has arrived and one of my clients who doesn't pay very much but who pays quickly answered my last plea for work. But some colleagues are not so lucky and I seem to be hearing daily of publishing houses making their staff (my contacts) redundant and others tell me they're 'not sending any work out at the moment'.



Then I hear of more Internet sites starting up where editors bid for work, which works for some but I'm not sure it's for me, and some where they project manage the production of a book for a percentage of the royalties (eek!).



Others are reporting that they are too busy and are having trouble deciding between projects to take on - naturally I'm taking account of the areas they work in ;-) I'm also looking at the part-time jobs section in the local paper, keeping my secretarial skills honed and returning to my crafty side.

As many freelancers know - it is usually feast or famine and I'm still hoping for the 'Back to School' rush to kick in.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know it's very difficult to tell right now which way things will go depending on the state of the economy over the next few weeks, but it's worth remembering that when staffers get the chop it's often a good time for freelances as it's cheaper to outsource work.

Small consolation, I know, when there is not much work coming in. If I didn't have my nice big writing contract I'd be really struggling myself right now. Hang in there, because it will get better!