Tuesday 22 December 2009

Baby Brain?

I'm slowly getting myself sorted out for the impending new arrival. Planning to stop work at the end of January and have finally sent off all of my paperwork to apply for Maternity Allowance.

Work has been pretty steady but I've been worried about the effect of pregnancy on my work. Within a week I had two complaints. This was a shock as I very rarely get complaints - in fact the last complaint I had was from a rather dodgy character who basically didn't want to pay me for the work I'd done and accused me of shoddy work in an attempt to get away with it.

However I admit - pregnant women get what is fondly termed as 'baby brain' that is, there is so much going on in your head with the prospect of a new arrival and all that implies that you forget things. I've taken to carrying my diary with me everywhere to avoid double booking things and, of course, taking extra care with my work so as not to miss anything.

The first complaint was that I had put everything in the present tense for a 200 page document rather than the past tense - which seemed rather odd. Lo and behold I was able to point them to the instructions that I had been sent which said to please use PRESENT tense (they were very apologetic).

Unfortunately the second complaint has been going on for a long time - I edited a book on screen by a non-native English speaker, returned it to the client after clearing up some queries with the author who remarked that it was odd that I hadn't sent him a list of where his grammar and spelling was incorrect. It isn't my usual practice to do that as it often opens up a can of worms where I spend hours explaining English language usage and defending each change - I'm employed to sort the text out not to teach him English grammar. Plus the job was for a set rate so all those extra hours would have been unpaid.

A few weeks later he sent me a curt email saying that he'd received the proofs and none of the changes that he had identified had been made and could I send him a list of exactly what I had changed as as far as he could see I hadn't touched it. Understandably I referred this back to the client in case the wrong version had been sent to the typesetter (it happens!). He hadn't previously sent this list of changes to myself or the client so I hadn't included them because I hadn't been aware of them. I left it with the client who was going to get it looked at again in-house and get back to me. Today the client has come back with a pdf of all the changes - granted I missed a few but the majority of which I wouldn't have changed because as far as I was concerned the text made sense or because I didn't want to change the author's meaning - in short it has been extensively rewritten in places, which wasn't my brief. I am not sure what the client wants me to do about the problem - I offered to go through it again with his comments in mind but they opted to do this in-house - they paid my bill before his complaints came to light (and I feel that the work I put into the book warranted the charge). But all they can see is the huge number of changes on the proofs rather than the amount of editing that was done before it got to proof stage. Plus as there were a few that I admit I should, perhaps, have spotted I feel that 'baby brain' and the numerous viruses I've caught over the past few months may have meant my editing performance was less than perfect.

In the meantime I have worked for several other clients who have all praised my work - so I'm going to try not to dwell on this, concentrate on finishing my workload for January and then return to it all after my maternity leave. I've apologised to the client and offered to do another project at a discounted rate once I return to work in the Summer and keep looking at those emails/letters of thanks.

No comments: