Tuesday 26 February 2008

Back to Earth with a bump!

I'm back from my trip - slightly less laden with souvenirs than I would have been if my pay cheques had come through but never mind they are winging their way to my bank account now so can pay all the bills that arrived in our absence!

So it's back to Earth with a bump! My answering machine had a message from a company about collecting my laptop - strange I left it at PC World just before we left to be fixed (it started emitting a high pitched noise when I switched it on and the screen was blank). I duly rang the number believing that they were ringing for me to arrange to pick up my fixed machine. No such luck. I was rather shirtily told that they had left several messages and written to me to arrange to pick up my laptop to fix it (one message and no letter). When I pointed out that I'd left it at PC World they checked the computer again and assured me that yes PC World had been in touch on Friday and it was being picked up that day - so it has been sitting in PC World for 3 and a half weeks. Ggrrr! I feel bereft without my laptop even though it has now broken down twice within a year.

On the plus side I have come back to some work - always nice - though the info I need hasn't arrived yet and the deadline is Friday .... back to normal then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I would be able to get up in the morning if my laptop were taken away.

Welcome back anyway and I hope you get it sorted out soon. I guess there are some advantages to being partly owned by the University - on the downside, they get me to come and give lectures at a moment's notice but at least they do maintain my equipment (my technical equipment I mean!)