Wednesday 9 July 2008

The M word :-@

The Berry/Brewer girls over at Freelance Parent want us to talk about that dirty word - Money. As in how much do freelancers really earn.

I touched on this here back in May but it's time to spill the beans - bearing in mind I am currently very, very, part time the figure that I expect my accountant to come up with at our meeting next week is around £10,000 - which works out to £833 a month (and seeing as I recently worked out I need £800 a month to pay my share of the bills that's just about right).

Since May I have been making positive efforts to increase my work load and my pay rate so I'm hoping for an increase next year - especially as I will be less part-time in 2009.

So, no, I won't earn my fortune freelancing (at least not in publishing) but being my own boss is priceless ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that freelancers are talking about this. I'm making a point not to "judge" anyone based on their numbers, but it just seems so liberating to put them out there. It's proof that talent and perserverence *can* pay off. Sure, we're not getting rich, but my daughter just woke up from a nap and I was able to snuggle with her as she woke before returning to work. That's even more rewarding than the zeros on the checks, you know?

Amy said...

I'm plugging away working about 40 hours a week right now, but next year that will drop to some very part-time number for a while, so I'll be curious to see what I can earn at that point. Right now it varies, but I don't really talk about it in specifics, as I addressed in a recent blog post. I admire those who do!!

Anonymous said...

It's quite good if you can find a niche - one that no-one else either can or will fill. Most of the work I do now is in an area that no-one else will touch and I can therefore set relatively high prices if someone wants something done because I know they will struggle to find anyone else.

But I do still do other stuff - for interest mostly or because I know people need it doing and can't pay much - and some of it pays very badly.

No-one is ever keen to say how much they earn, are they? See - even I am not doing so. Silly really. haha I did write in what I earned last year but I have deleted it. I do OK but that is because I have been working in one particular area for a very long time. It takes ages to build up a good client base - but it feels good when you do, so stick with it.

and I hope you get good news re your husband's job.