Wednesday 16 July 2008

Reason why I'm glad I'm self-employed #246

In short I can't make myself redundant.

I can still remember when I was an employee and redundancies happened. They crept up on you, suddenly a colleague would be called into an office in another part of the building and return blotchy faced with a personnel security guard.

Before child we also experienced the corporate way of culling staff from my husband's employer. The trend seems to be to decide a certain job description or level of employee as no longer existing (though a similar job title or level is about to be launched and he's still working 60+ hours a week). He has survived this cull twice with little stress on our part. Three weeks ago we discovered this is happening again. It is still 6 weeks until we finally know and even if redundancy is his fate he is employed until after Christmas - did I mention he works for a large supermarket chain?

The difference this time is 1. we have a child and 2. I don't have a secure income. At the moment we are assuming that everything will be okay whilst also thinking about his options next year if the worst happens. He has been with the same company for 17 years - all his working life so there could be some interesting things put forward over the next few weeks. I've already discounted professional amateur golf player, professional fisherman and online poker supremo - any ideas/offers most welcome.

No comments: