Saturday 26 January 2008

Exit Strategy Planning

As a freelancer you aren't supposed to take holidays or be off sick - you should be there day and night at the clients beck and call (and of course only work for them even if they only call on you once in a blue moon for an urgent project) - right?

In my first year of freelancing I didn't understand these rules ...

I booked a holiday.

(Well actually it was booked before I even thought about going freelance but the fact remains that I didn't think it would be a problem.) On top of the holiday we moved house 3 days before we were supposed to fly (obviously this wasn't the plan but that's how it ended up happening). As this was a move of 190 miles, with my OH at one end and myself and the three year old (then 1 year old) at the other, my work was somewhat disrupted but I made sure I got everything done and sent back before my 'break'. The result was that I ended up not working for about 6 weeks because I took a week to move and another 2 for a holiday and therefore wasn't available when needed.

In March last year I ended up in hospital with an infection. I was only in hospital for a week and then out of action for another week because the cocktail of drugs I was prescribed wasn't conducive to sitting in front of a screen. During that week I continued with the projects that had been due whilst I was in hospital and returned them only a few days late (obviously telling the client via my OH that I was in hospital as soon as we realised I would be staying in). I wasn't expecting flowers and both clients involved were sympathetic at the time but the upshot was that I didn't have any work from them for several months. In fact it took until October to get back into a regular level of work - so, on the plus side, it did make me market myself more.

Late last year my sister in law moved to the other side of the world and I was persuaded to book a trip to see her (which I'm taking in about 10 days time). I informed all of my clients and told them that I would have my laptop with me so could do on-screen work and could probably find room in my luggage to take one manuscript.

But I sent my last project back to a client on Wednesday and nothing else is in the pipeline either before I go or lined up for when I get back. I have been asked to collate some proofs but I think the postage cost to Australia put them off :-) I'm starting to worry that being 'unavailable' may lead to another work drought.

Would I have been better NOT to tell everyone my plans and just set up an 'out of office' reply to my email for the period (though as it is web-based that wouldn't be needed as I can access them there, though the time difference could prove a problem)?

If I had been still working in-house I'd currently be doing unpaid overtime to get everything done before I left and would be expecting to do the same once I got back. I would have still been expected to churn out the same number of books as I had in previous months - despite not actually being there and would be 'stressed to the eyeballs'.

Instead I am sitting here wondering how I can get out of doing the mountain of housework that needs doing before we leave. My excuse (probably since October when work picked up) has been too much work to do. The result is similar to the one Kate Muir describes in today's Dark Ages (Times Magazine) except probably worse as reading between the lines she 'normally' does the chores she mentions wheras I avoid them at all cost.

I suppose there is still time to send round a begging email to clients on Monday - but then again there is the packing to be done.

I'd be interested to hear how others manage it - or even if they do.

5 comments:

Slutty McWho? said...

Ah, yes, freelance work. I understand all too well although, uh, I'm a very different kind of freelancer to you.

Unknown said...

I have no qualms about taking holidays but I suspect my clientèle is different to yours. I mostly edit for commercial clients rather than publishers - I give them at least a week's notice of my unavailability, explain that I will be picking up my mail while away (but not working, obviously) and reassure them that I will be back before they know it. Where needed, I arrange cover with another editor. For writing gigs, I always have to pray that I'll get everything submitted before I go away, regardless of the deadline at the other end. And I don't pitch just before a holiday as I don't want thumbs ups asking me to file while I'm sunning myself!

I've not lost any work yet, so it seems to work for me.

Juliet said...

I'm the same kind of freelancer to you. I work for publishers. I have always taken my laptop away on holiday with me. I have always worked while on holiday, and had to find (before the days of wifi) a holiday cottage with an internet connection. I have never, ever, in 18 years, managed to 'plan' work schedules so that nothing has slipped into my holiday time, because there are always so many other people involved in every project, so precise planning has never been in my hands. I can keep to my side of the bargain, but others rarely do. Last year I took five days off and went on holiday on my own, without my family and without my laptop or any work whatever. It felt completely amazing and peculiar and I was light-headed with the strangeness of it all!

As I was walking into the maternity unit to have my first child, 14 years ago, my waters having broken, my husband took a call from one of my clients on the mobile. 'I must have those proofs earlier than scheduled, because I'm going to the US', she said. 'Sorry, but Juliet's just about to have the baby', he said. 'Yes, but I really need to speak to her about these proofs right now, it's important'. 'No, sorry, you don't understand. we're AT the maternity hospital and I have to turn the mobile off right NOW', he replied. She was still yelling about proofs as he switched the phone off.

See also comments about freelancing while ill over on Wordsmith's recent posts.

It's just what it's like. And I've given up imagining that it's ever going to change. Sorry not to be able to offer a more upbeat and positive solution!!

Anonymous said...

haha oh Slutty! Sorry, I shouldn't chat to other people in your comment box. Very rude of me! But what is she like??

I have to say that I never notify anyone of a holiday. I don't ever want anyone to cross me off their list even temporarily incase they have something really good to offer. It is usually possible to negotiate a timescale that suits me.

I take each job as it comes - decide if I want to do it and agree the timescale. But my clients tend to be large, Governmental bodies and the work is generally long term. Different to yours probably and very different to Slutty's!

I do occasionally work on projects on holiday (at night when everyone else has crashed out) if I need to but not generally.

dougalfish said...

ha ha Juliet he really should have given you the phone!

Wordsmith - in my mind you have all of your clients trained to perfection!(Please don't shatter my illusions!) But my problem may have been that I gave them all lots of notice rather than dealing with it when I was asked to do some work.

Slutty - ha ha! Though I expect you still have the worry that clients will go elsewhere if you are not there.

RB - I wish I had long term clients like yours! I never get more than a days notice and a maximum time to complete of 3 weeks, though usually less.