Wednesday 26 March 2008

A Black Wednesday

Ever have one of those days? Today has been one I wish I'd slept through to be honest.

It was never going to be good when my OH returned last night from 'a quick pint' as late in the day as he possibly could (aka close to midnight). I left him drunkenly boxing the Wii and crawled into bed (my excuse being that once I am 'working' I rarely stop unless I am interrupted - so if he'd gone onto a club I'd have happily worked into the early hours).

The toddler decided that 3am was a good time to get up and strongly proclaim that he was 'NOT tired' whilst walking into furniture. He got to the point that he was SO TIRED he couldn't sleep and made visits to our room at 10 minute intervals until about 6am when DH lost his temper and stormed out to work (in truth he should have left at 5.30am - so after only 2 hours sleep he was already late).

After this outburst peace was restored and I managed to get an hour of shut eye before we suffered a power cut which caused our house alarm to sound - the alarm which just happens to be situated on the other side of the wall from my pillow. This was then accompanied by the toddler screaming at me to stop the noise. Easier said than done as in the 2 years we've been in the house we've set the alarm only once (whereby we discovered that we couldn't turn rooms off so the cats would set it off) and have looked on smugly during other power cuts (there have been several) as other houses suffered the inconvenience of an incessant alarm. After explaining for the 100th time that, no, the TV wouldn't come on 'because we have no power' the tv did spring into life but the alarm kept on ringing. I frantically typed in all the codes I could find. All telephone calls to my OH were thwarted -forgot to charge the battery in my phone yesterday and the house phone is connected to the mains so was still 'resetting' then remembered that OH had changed locations and I didn't have the new number. Eventually got enough power in my mobile to text him to call home urgently as he isn't allowed to carry his phone with him but would have a break at some point and might just check his phone. Then suddenly the noise stopped.


As it was now 9.30am and I expected some emails from I client I powered up the computer - not connected to the Internet. This involved an expedition to the study/box room/general dumping ground - to find the BT hub. Very proud of myself as I managed to navigate it and press the reset button then fire up the ancient (circa 2003) PC to find out why it wasn't connecting. 'Please type in your user name and password' ermm - after trying every possible combination of our names and relevant dates, and anything else I could think of that the OH might have used, I was sitting with my head in my hands when OH rang. He directed me to a box in the 'dumping area' which had the codes in. It turned out that the only codes were the ones for the wireless connection so took the bull by the horns and reset it from scratch. I am now in BIG TROUBLE for messing with the equipment. Even so it still took me till nearly lunch time to get my laptop to agree with the home hub and check my emails.

This was all undertaken with constant demands to play the Thomas the Tank Engine game and supply a never ending stream of toast, juice and chocolate chip weetabix (my son is like a Hobbit - always has at least 3 breakfasts). PLUS endless enquiries as to when daddy would be home as one of the promises made at 4am was that daddy would play with the train set if HE WENT TO SLEEP!

Then to top it all once I did get the laptop to work one of my colleagues had pointed out that I can't retire until I'm 67! I didn't even have the stomach to ring my mother today (to take off the heat of the constant demands of her 'adorable grandchild') as she takes great delight in reminding me that as she is now over 60 she could retire 'at any moment' she just chooses to work until she's 65 and can change her mind 'whenever'. ggrrrr!

I've a headache from the many battles we've had with the naughty step - no treats were allowed due to our sleep deprivation over the last week (that included Easter eggs which seem to be breeding in our house). I'm in trouble for messing with the hub and, to top it all in my list of crimes, the alarm (WHICH WE NEVER USE) is no longer working.

Thank goodness the toddler is booked into nursery tomorrow and OH is at work so that I can enjoy some peace and quiet and, more importantly, get some work done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh dear! Poor poor you!!

I long ago deactivated my burglar alarm as it caused so many problems. But I am pretty clued up on the internet boxes as I simply can't live without my connection.


Things can only get better eh?