Friday 14 March 2008

Motivation's what I need

I've definitely left the holiday feeling behind with an urgent and taxing job during my first week back at my desk.

Since then though, well lets say I need a good swift kick up the proverbial. It may be that there was three weeks worth of Sky+ to watch (and that the box kept breaking down as it doesn't seem to be able to cope with being more than 40% full) or just the first signs of Spring but I just keep finding that the day has passed and I've done virtually nothing on the work front). I can't even say I've been doing much on the home front either - the dust that we left at the end of January is still evident (though if the in-laws decide that they are coming for Easter after all I'll have to get myself into gear on that too).



My usual motivation is money or lack of it and that should be the case here - bills to pay at the end of the month and insufficient funds to clear them. So what could it be? - wanting to be back on holiday? no. More pressing social and family matters? no. Boredom? hmm, maybe.



As much as I moaned about my client from another planet their project was the last one I worked on before I went away and another from them was the first one when I came back. It was all high pressure and confusion, frustration and talking at cross purposes - in short a bit like my old in-house job.



But the time has come to give myself a serious talking to. If work was always like that I'd have a serious burn out (been there, done that and got the t-shirt) or I'd blow my client relations by actually saying the things I'm thinking and blogging about. The 'boring' stuff is my bread and butter and something interesting is always waiting in the wings :-) Obviously my timing is as wrong as ever - as the preschooler is now out of nursery for the Easter holidays!



I'd be interested to know how everyone else pulls themselves out of a work rut.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I feel like this too -- unmotivated, depressed, lazy ... My schedules are so tight that if I miss a day (e.g., yesterday I did no work! Yikes!), I am in trouble. To get myself back to work, I review my schedule and count the hours/pages that must get done for me to be back on track. Then I take small chunks at a time with small breaks so I don't get overwhelmed. I also remind myself of the great perks that come from working at home and how lucky I am, and it inspires me to get things done well so my clients will keep using me.