Friday 13 June 2008

Know your Market

Just about to pack up for a weekend at the in-laws when an odd message popped up in my inbox.

The subject had 'Hello Dear Dougalfish from XXXX Press'

I vaguely remembered sending out a lot of CVs to different publishing companys not so long ago and wondered if one had found my CV on a to-do pile and fallen instantly in love :-)

Then I noted the email was addressed to the email I use on my directory entries - so concluded that it was probably work and ignored my initial worry that it might be luncheon meat.

Dear Dougalfish,

Hope you are doing fine.

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Sxxxxxx and I am responsible for business development at _____________ (
www.______________.com ) . I would like to take this opportunity to introduce our company ........

It turns out that THEY are a company based in India that want to sell ME editing services!

..... In order to help you assess our capabilities, we would be happy to doing a sample of 10 – 15 pages for you as per your specifications. I have attached PDF of our brochure for your kind perusal.

We would request for a convenient time sometime this week or any time convenient to you for a teleconference so that we can explain our services and take our discussion to next level.

Look forward to your response.


I looks like they've trawled the Directory of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders for email addresses - what a waste of their time! Perhaps I should reply with my fees.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel left out! I didn't get a mail from this company. If they do get in touch, I shall give them short shrift...

Juliet said...

I get several of these every week! I think they must google 'publishing services'.

I had a new one last week, though, from a cottage rental company, asking if they could please lift copy and photos from my blog to use in their online holiday cottage brochure, and that they would 'make no charge for this' [sic]! Strangely enough, this was an offer I found I could resist.