Wednesday 21 May 2008

Working hours

I enjoy being freelance - being my own boss, keeping my own hours, being able to take time off if needed (well that's the theory). What I don't enjoy is the view by some clients that as a freelance you are available to work for them 24/7 (even hang around for 10 months just waiting for them to call) and the view of my nearest and dearest that I'm at their disposal 24/7 too.

I always describe myself as being a part-time freelancer. Mainly because my son is under 5 and though I do have childcare for him on some days it is not all day everyday (the cost of childcare was one of the deciding factors for my not going back to work in-house in the first place). Some of my childcare arrangements are quite fluid - grandparents have him for the odd afternoon and nursery is only open term time. Therefore I am always open and honest about my situation in dealing with clients and let them know my main work days. I try to check my email throughout the day and have my mobile on hand if I am out of the house. I have missed jobs in the past simply because I haven't answered a general email shout out in time.

I've taken steps in the past to ensure that I also manage some family time and get to talk to my husband once in a while but all this has become increasingly difficult at the moment.

There are several factors to this - relatives who think they can drop by for a visit at a moment's notice (and even stay for a few days); friends who think I can babysit their kids at a moment's notice (as I'm at home anyway); my OH thinking I can sort out that lengthily phone call with our gas/electric/tv provider or pop into the bank for a lengthily discussion about the mortgage - whilst still keeping up with the washing, drying, cleaning etc; my OH thinking that because he has a day off we can spend half the day in Ikea (twice in the last few weeks); being on watering plants/feeding cats duty for those off on holiday; the leader of the mum's group I belong to thinking I can take over from her because SHE is GOING BACK TO WORK; and clients who are a bit economical with the truth about how much work is involved in a project.

I am considering having a sign printed with my various 'functions' and times available to wear around my nearest and dearest to guilt them into giving me space

5-7am alarm clock (at set intervals - normally involves physical violence and paired with 'will you switch that b***** thing off?' or 'If you are only going to get up with the LAST alarm bell why do you have so many?'
7-8am wardrobe assistant (to 3 yr old)
8-8.30 taxi to nursery
9-11 Work (Mondays and Thursdays this is extended to 1pm)
11.30-1 Taxi to Grandad's (Tuesdays) (Thursdays - at 1pm)
1pm -5pm Work (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
1pm-5pm entertainments officer (for 3 year old)
6pm dinner followed by 7pm bath time
8-12pm Work (when OH is absent - 2-3 times a week- work starts when 3 year old asleep - latest 10.30pm)

I average about 20 hours work a week but when you throw in other 'responsibilities' that have been put on me of late you can see why I struggle. I think there is a secret conspiracy to get me back to 'going out to work' - though I'm not convinced that less would be expected from me if I left the home to work maybe I would be less inclined to do it).

Maybe installing a soundproof glass box and screening my calls would help. How much are conservatories going for nowadays? ... scrap that - I'd have to go and 'discuss' the mortgage again to fund it.

I've seen lots of similar moans on forums and Facebook really so I know I'm not alone. So should freelancers work the same hours as their clients? Personally I'm not giving up my current arrangement (though OH has been given a serious talking to) and will be reviewing it again next year when my son will be at school full-time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do actually have a note on my website's contact page that I work "office hours" but that's mainly to stop clients phoning outside the 9-5 zone. I work full-time but I often do "stuff" in the mornings such as a dash to the shops. Last night I worked until 8.30pm after a quick break at 6pm to open a beer - I had hideous editing job on the go and decided to grit my teeth and get it behind me rather than wake up to finishing it this morning.

As freelances, we probably are expected, to a certain degree, to work the same hours as our clients. I think it's part of the unwritten job description. This morning I had two emails in my box from a client - one sent at 23.28 and one at 5.39! I deal with these by only responding within my own office hours.

It's not easy, but setting boundaries is vital, not just for family and friends but clients too and then all those on the periphery. Once set, they need to be reinforced otherwise people take advantage.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I find all those things too. Although I have sort of adapted my working pattern to work for me - so I do a lot less during a standard working day and quite a lot very early in the morning (between 5 and 7) - I find that those two hours are worth 4 daytime hours because there are no disturbances and it is when my brain seems to work best. But I don't live with an OH so that is OK.

I had always thought my life was more difficult because I have no family living locally at all (my nearest relative is more than 3 hours away) but perhaps that is not the case? At least they don't pop round and bug me!!

It is easier when the children are at school though - you have that regular chunk of time every day (well, until they are ill!) although I personally use that time for dealing with people rather than to do a lot of writing. Oh and I waste a lot of it blogging!!!