Wednesday 14 May 2008

Ditching Clients

I've been debating about whether to ditch a client or not. It's the one I've talked about here and here (and the last project was just to awful for the blog). It isn't the work that bothers me but the lack of communication and unprofessionalism of the company I do the work for (they are a prepress company). A couple of weeks ago it was the last straw and I wasn't going to work for them again but then I got a heartfelt apology (my messages had been sitting in their spam folder) and I got paid within 2 weeks rather than the usual 6. So I'm undecided again - they pay well if I can just suffer the headache...

... also this week a client who I thought had dumped me got back in touch (after a year) and gave me enough work to keep me busy for the next few weeks and a slightly better rate (after some negotiation).

All this comes after really messing up a job for a friend last week. Rushing through to get it done, as other factors had impinged on my time, rather than taking the time to triple check that I had done it properly. Even after a second chance I'd got myself so worked up that I missed the wood for the trees - she deserves a large drink the next time I see her and will probably never ask for a favour again! The OH got a serious talking to but really the blame was all mine.



So a new, improved, more focused Dougalfish is born who is prepared to negotiate for what she wants, will strive for excellence in her work and will say 'no' to clients she can do without ... well that's the theory ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never have qualms about ditching clients. If they are a nightmare to work for or late payers, I can live without them. There is always a better client around the corner. It's a harder decision when they pay well, but only you can decide if the money is worth the stress.

Amy said...

Good for you for asking for more and wanting to improve the work. I found that once I started acting like I deserved certain levels of work and pay I started getting "yes" to what I wanted when I asked. :)